Wednesday 8 September 2010

On the road with my big mouth

Only 3 days to go to the Tour of Britain which I can’t wait to again be part of. This is the point where my revision begins and its great to be able to revise for something other than Macbeth or Checkov, No this is not school stuff, This is fun revision. 16 teams of 6 riders, so who are the favourites?, who fancies their chances? who looks the best in Lycra? And so on and so on. As my work throughout the year varies from comedy, to light entertainment to sport and back again. It means that the ability to put on certain hats (never a berret and never lycra ! Phew)and show expertise in one particular subject becomes paramount. So for this week and the next I am a cycling geek and proud of it.

I remember back in 2001 I was the stadium announcer for Southampton FC and my first game was the opening of the new St mary’s stadium against a Spanish team called Espanyol. Boy did I sweat over those names but of course had no idea who would be playing and it was all in Spanish!. At least with this I have a pretty good idea of the riders and the teams and have followed the cycling pretty closely throughout the year. With names like Wiggins, Thomas and Cummings likely to be in the running maybe this will prove to be much easier, Who knows we might even get a British winner!!! Bring on the Tour. The racing proper starts in Rochdale on Saturday to Blackpool and i'll be at every finish spurring on the riders and making lots of noise

No comments:

Post a Comment